Prep time 30 mins
Serves 2 dozen
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons snipped chives, plus more for garnish
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded ( 1/2 cup)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 ounces sliced smoked salmon, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- In a medium bowl, whisk the buckwheat flour, baking powder and dry mustard. Whisk in the milk until smooth. Add the 1 1/2 tablespoons of chives and the cheddar and season the batter with salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm peaks form. Whisk one-fourth of the whites into the batter. Fold in the remaining whites.
- Heat a griddle over moderate heat until very hot and spray with vegetable oil spray. Spoon 1-tablespoon mounds of batter onto the griddle and cook until bubbles form around the edges of the blini, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook the blini for about 30 seconds longer.
- Transfer the blini to a platter and top with the smoked salmon and a dollop of sour cream. Garnish the blini with chives and serve right away.
- Recommended using Nova style Smoked Salmon
Note: Buckwheat flour can be bought at most health food stores or online at amazon.com